”чебник дл€ 6 класса
Let Us Road
9. Read the text and say: a) what you think about the tradition described in it and b) if Russian people have such a tradition.
To know a country we should know its traditions. Sending greetings cards is one of them. Greetings cards are very popular in Britain. The most common kinds of greetings cards are birthday cards, congratulations cards, sympathy cards,1 get-well cards, and cards for special days.
Birthday cards. There are special family birthday cards for mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers. There are cards which are special for friends, teachers, and other people. ChildrenТs cards often have a large number on them showing how old the children are. Cards for adults have pictures of flowers or scenery, or humorous cartoons.
Congratulations cards. These greetings cards are used for such things as the birth of a baby, a wedding2 or an anniversary.3 You can even buy a congratulations card for a person who gets a new house or a new job!
Sympathy cards are sent when someone dies. You should send the card to the person you know best in the family. The sympathy card means УIТm sorryФ.
Get-well cards. If a friend is sick, at home or in hospital, you can send a get-well card. A get-well card means УI hope you will feel better soonФ.
Special occasion cards are sent to family and friends on some of the special days during the year; for example, on Christmas, ValentineТs Day, Easter, MotherТs Day, FatherТs Day, Halloween. On 14 February some children give valentines to each other in their classes in school. Teenagers and grown-ups sometimes send valentines to their girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands or wives.
10. Answer the questions to see if you understood the text well.
* * * * * Let Us Talk * * * * *
11. Say what kind of greetings card British people send when:
12. a) Read the text on the postcard and say who wrote the postcard, to whom and why.
b) Say if you think it is a good idea to send such cards to people to thank them for their kindness, help and hospitality.1 Why?
13. Speak about the tradition of sending postcards in Russia. Say:
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
14. Postcards are usually short. Write a postcard to your friend about the place that impressed you most in England.
15. Here are some greetings cards for you to write. The lines on them are all mixed up. Rewrite the lines to have greetings cards you can send to your friends.
16. Write: a) what you would like 1) your mother to do (not less than 3 sentences); 2) your father to do (not less than 3 sentences); 3) your granny to do (not less than 3 sentences);
b) what you think your mother (father, granny) doesnТt want you to do. (Not less than 6 sentences.)
Example: I would like my mother to take me to McDonaldТs one day. I think my mother doesnТt like me to shout loudly.
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
17. a) Make sure you know these words:
to prefer (preferred, preferred) Ч предпочитать
b) Listen to the tape, 43, and answer these questions.
18. Tell the story of УThe Wrong FamilyФ to your friends who havenТt heard it.