”чебник дл€ 6 класса
Let Us Read
22. Read the text and say why many species of animals and plants are endangered.
NATURAL WORLD IN DANGER
You have never seen a dodo. Your friends and teachers have never seen a dodo. Your grandparents never saw a dodo. The last of these large birds that couldnТt fly died many years ago. Now it is extinct. We even say Уas dead as a dodoФ, which means УfinishedФ. Your great-grandparents may just have seen a passenger pigeon:1 the last one died in 1914. A lot more endangered species Ч fish, reptiles, insects, birds, mammals Ч may disappear before you have children. The reason is that Man kills animals and destroys their habitats. 13. It is not just animals that are in danger. So are plants. The world had over nine million sq.2 km of forests. This is a lot of trees, and also a lot of different species of trees. But they are disappearing fast. Every day we use paper and cardboard, both made from wood. We use different kinds of wood in furniture and in other ways. Every year over 100 000 sq. km of forests are cleared for different uses, and a lot of forests are so badly damaged that they will hardly be able to recover. If we go on like this, by the time you are as old as your grandparents are now all the forests on earth can be destroyed. This includes rainforests in South America, Africa and Asia. The huge forests help to control the worldТs weather and to produce much of the oxygen in the air. There are many illnesses which we still cannot cure. There are old ones like cancer3 and new ones like AIDS.4 It may be that the medicines we need will be discovered in wild plants in savannas, deserts or rainforests. If we destroy these places, we will never find the cure.
So you see that it is not just children who need a healthy space to live and grow. If we want our lives to be healthy and interesting, a lot of other creatures and plants need growing space too.
23. Look through the text again and answer these questions.
24. Remember the beginnings of these sentences, if necessary look through the text again.
25. These are four good reasons why we must protect wildlife. Develop these ideas.
* * * * * Let Us Talk * * * * *
26. Imagine you are giving a talk at the Ecology Class describing the situation in the place where you live. Make a plan of your talk and speak on the following.
27. Use the plan of ex. 26 and say what the text УNatural World in DangerФ is about in 5Ч10 sentences.
28. This is what Stephanie, a girl from Cardiff aged 12, wrote about the beauty of the world. Read the paragraph artistically and say how you could prove that our planet is a wonderful place to live on.
I don't normally get up early but today was different. I woke up to the sound of music but not just any music. It was the sound of birds singing like a big orchestra. I got out of bed and opened the curtains to look out of the window. I stood in a daze.1 The bird flew from tree to tree and from branch to branch. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shining through the trees and on the grass making them look like gold. The sky had the shade2 of blue that you can see only in summer even though it was spring. What a lovely way to wake up in the morning.
Stephanie Bolton, age 12
29. Speak about pets people keep.
30. Speak about different hobbies people have.
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
31. Do ex. 6, ex. 8, ex. 10, ex. 15, ex. 17 in writing.
32. Complete the dialogues using passive structures.
Example: Ч Have you posted the letters? Ч Not yet. They will be posted tomorrow.
Example: Ч Have you finished the letter? Ч Not yet. IТm sure it can be written later.
33. Use reflexive pronouns to express the same in English.
34. Look at the words again and get ready to write a spelling quiz on them.
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
35. a) Make sure that you know these words:
rubbish Ч мусор, бытовые отходы
34. b) Listen to the tape, 14, and answer these questions.
35. Imagine what the weather was like on the day when Tom Robinson took his class to London Zoo and describe it.
36. Imagine you are one of TomТs pupils and tell your friends about your visit to London Zoo.