”чебник дл€ 6 класса
Unit 3. The Natural World
* * * * * Let Us Review * * * * *
1. Work in pairs. Look at the weathermap and the Climate Chart, then ask and answer questions on the weather and climate in different countries and cities.
Example: Ч What is the weather like in Home? Ч It is stormy. The temperature is ±12∞C. Ч What is the climate like in Italy? Ч In summer itТs generally hot, with a lot of sunshine. In winter itТs mild and wet. The average1 summer temperature is +24 ∞C. The average winter temperature is +6 ∞C.
Austria Ч јвстри€; Belgium Ч Ѕельги€; Holland Ч √олланди€; Warsaw Ч ¬аршава; France Ч ‘ранци€
2. What types of weather are good and bad for doing these things?
Example: Skiing. ItТs bad to have mild and warm weather when snow melts. ItТs good to ski on cold, clear days.
3. On a December morning two suitcases which belong to Mr White and Mr Black fell open at the airport and their things got mixed.2 Mr Black is going to India and Mr White is going to Norway. Both of the passengers are going to celebrate Christmas with their families. Help them to collect their things.
a) Make a list of things for each man.
b) Explain your choice.
Example: The trousers belong to Mr Black because they are light summer trousers, and the skiing cap belongs to Mr White because it is the right time for skiing in Norway.
4. Look at the table on p. 31 and describe the typical winter/summer weather in:
Example: It is seldom foggy in Moscow in summer.
5. Describe the clothes you prefer to wear in different weather.
Example: When it is freezing I prefer to put on (wear) an anorak,1 a warm scarf, a pair of trousers, a sweater and winter boots.
6. Choose the right form of the possessive and personal pronouns and complete the sentences.
Example: I gave him my bicycle and he gave me his.
7. Express the same in Russian.
8. Change the sentences to use passive structures.
Example: They never buy such toys for very young children. Such toys are never bought for very young children.
9. Do you know this? If not, try to find it out (ask grown-ups or consult dictionaries) and say:
10. Make a list of traditional hobbies in Russia. Compare it with the list of traditional British hobbies. What are the most/least1 popular hobbies in both countries, in your opinion?
11. Work in pairs. Look at the list of hobbies in ex. 10 and tell your partner what you like/dislike doing. Ask questions about your partnerТs hobbies.
Example: Ч I donТt like going to the cinema but I like reading very much. Ч Oh, really? What do you read? Ч I read a lot of detective stories.
12. Keeping pets at home is a popular hobby. Answer these questions about pets and pet keeping.
13. This is what Steven Howard, a boy from Newcastle, wrote about his dog. Look through it and describe your own pet or the pet you would like to have some day.
My dog Duke
My dog is called Duke and he is a long-haired German shepherd dog3. He is the biggest dog in my street and every time the postman or someone passes by he barks his head off4 and nearly gives them a heart attack. Lots of people are afraid to go into my house because heТs aggressive. But he is a lovely dog when you get to know him. He loves playing with balls and with my pet duck, George.
14. a) Read the words in transcription.
b) Listen to the tape, 11, and check your reading.