22. Look through the brief information about Queen Elizabeth II and speak about her.
Father: the Duke1 of York, later King George VI. Mother: Mary, the duchess2 of York.
• Born in Windsor on 21 April 1926.
• Full name: Elizabeth-Mary-Alexander Windsor.
• Pet name: Lilibet.
• Educated at home, taught to read and write by her parents, studied Latin, Geography, Economics, Music.
• Knew foreign languages, spoke French well.
• Good at horse-riding, dancing, swimming; took part in swimming competitions.
• Lived in Windsor and Buckingham Palace with her parents.
• Made her first speech on the radio in 1940 during the war.
• Wanted to help the army: grew vegetables and knitted3 socks for soldiers.
• Learned to drive.
• Married Prince Philip in 1947.
• Prince Charles (first son) was born in 1948.
• Came to the throne in 1952.
• Was crowned in Westminster Abbey in London on 2 June 1953.
• Made her first Christmas speech to the nation in 1957 (now this speech is traditional).
• Plays an important role in the country.
• Travels a lot.
• Has four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Prince Edward.
• Likes reading, taking pictures, watching horse races.
• Has five official residences in Britain, Buckingham Palace in London and Windsor Castle near London among them.
24. a) Look at the family tree of the Windsors and say how the members of the family are related. (Numbers show order of succession to the Crown.4)
1 a duke — герцог
2 a duchess — герцогиня
3 to knit — вязать
4 order of succession to the Crown — порядок наследования престола
Example: Zara Phillips is the Queen’s granddaughter.
1. Prince Henry is Lady Diana’s ...
2. Princess Anne is the Queen Mother’s ...
3. Princess Margaret is the Queen Mother’s ...
4. The Queen is Princess Anne’s ...
5. Prince William is Prince Philip’s ...
6. The Queen is Princess Margaret’s ...
7. Prince Henry is Princess Beatrice’s ...
8. Prince Andrew is Prince Edward’s ...
b) Ask your friends questions about the royal family, find out:
how many members there are in the Windsor family;
if all her children are married;
who they are married to;
how many grandchildren the Queen has got;
who the Queen is married to;
if the Queen has any brothers or sisters;
who the Queen’s eldest child is;
who the youngest child is;
who Prince William and Prince Henry’s parents are;
who can be the next monarch after Queen Elizabeth.
c) Speak about the royal family today, use the questions of section b) as a plan.
25. Look at the map of London, find the places connected with the royal family, say where they are situated and what you know about them.
26. Look through ex. 23 and tell your friends about Queen Elizabeth’s parents.
27. Choose a partner and make up a dialogue about presents you get and give. Mention:
when you get/give presents;
what you usually get/give;
who gives you presents;
where you buy presents;
for whom you buy/to whom you give your presents;
what presents you can make yourself;
what was the best/the most unusual/the biggest/the nicest present you have ever got;
what present you’d like to get for Christmas.
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
28. Do ex. 6, ex. 8, ex. 10, ex. 15, ex. 24 (b) in writing.
29. Express the same in English.
1. Какая красивая процессия! Люди такие счастливые, их одежда такая яркая!
2. Как прекрасен этот мир!
3. Мой старший брат такой умный и добрый!
4. Какая чудесная сегодня погода! Небо такое голубое! А солнышко такое тёплое!
5. Как скучен этот фильм, он такой длинный. Я не люблю такие фильмы.
6. Какой широкий проспект и как он зелен!
1. Какой дворец является официальной резиденцией королевы?
2. Где расположен Лондонский зоопарк?
3. Кто правил Англией в конце XVI века?
4. Почему король Генрих VIII был одним из выдающихся (important) монархов Британии?
5. Чье правление было самым долгим в истории Англии?
6. Когда была побеждена Испанская армада?
7. Какой музей в Лондоне связан с именами королевы Виктории и принца Альберта?
8. Когда королева Елизавета II взошла на престол (come to the throne)?
9. Какие места в Лондоне напоминают нам о королевской семье?
10. Королева Елизавета II — праправнучка королевы Виктории, не так ли?
30. Write answers to the questions of ex. 29 (b).
31. Look at the words again and get ready to write a spelling quiz on them.
official, a ceremony, a residence, an avenue, a pro-cession, public, a character, a monarch, politics, control, a throne, a tragedy, classical, an empire, to own, a crown/to crown, to reign/reign, to defeat/defeat, to remind, touching, a reason
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
32. Listen to the tape, 36.
33. Put these sentences in the right order.
Paul was going to stay in the Royal Hotel.
Ian advised Paul to visit the British Museum and the Tower of London.
Paul admired the procession walking along the Mall.
Paul followed the taxi in his car.
Paul decided to visit London.
Paul stopped a taxi.
Paul couldn’t find his hotel.
34. Imagine that you are Paul, a businessman from France. Tell your friend Ian about your visit to London.