Nowadays there are a lot of environmental problems.
People destroy many habitats of animals.
Direct sunlight can be dangerous.
Nuclear power stations can cause a lot of trouble.
Man should solve ecological problems as soon as possible.
25. Speak about the problems of air pollution and water pollution as you see them. (Ex. 20 can help you.) Mention water bodies used as rubbish dumps, destruction of buildings in towns, water and air pollution influence on people’s health.
26. Think and say if you change your own environment for the better or for the worse.
We speak about water shortages. What do you use water for? Do you waste1 any? Do you often take hot baths? wash clothes? How much water do you use on washing?
Water pollution is becoming quite bad. Have you ever thrown anything into a river or a lake? If so, what? Why? Have you ever washed your bicycle in a river or a lake? How dirty did it make the water?
People use a lot of washing powder.2 Have you ever done it? Does your family do it? Do you think it does harm to our rivers and seas?
Burning makes air pollution worse. Have you ever burnt rubbish or autumn leaves?
Most of the pollution in big cities comes from cars. They also make a lot of noise. Has your family got a car? How often do you use it?
One of the environmental problems is a shortage of food. People in some countries even suffer from hunger. Does your family buy much food? Do you sometimes throw it away? How much of it do you waste?
WILL YOU GIVE ALL THESE UP TO KEEP RIVERS, LAKES, SEAS AND AIR CLEAN?
27. Your class was asked to take part in the TV show called “Save Our Planet”. Each of you has two minutes to give your reasons to speak on one of the subjects below. Choose one of them and get ready to speak in this TV programme.
Environment yesterday and today.
Environmental problems nowadays.
Ecology and people’s health.
Destruction of wildlife and countryside beauty.
Food, water and natural resources and their shortage.
28. All over the world people are moving from the country to the cities. Many prefer to live in the city but some would like to make their home in the country. Which is your choice? Explain it.
Example: I’d rather live in the country because I can spend a lot of time outside.
to lead a quiet life
to work outdoors
to take care of animals
to breathe fresh air
to eat healthy food
to enjoy the countryside
to live among friendly people
to lead an interesting life
to have many things to do and
to see to have all the modern conveniences
to work with modern machines
to have a lot of places to get education
to be able to visit some interesting places
to be able to have a lot of fun
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
29. Do ex. 1, ex. 2, ex. 4, ex. 5, ex. 11, ex. 13, ex. 16 in writing
30. Express the same in English.
1. Если мы сможем разрешить экологические проблемы, мы спасем Землю.
2. Люди будут более здоровыми, если загрязнение воздуха будет остановлено.
3. Если разные страны будут испытывать ядерное оружие, это вызовет радиоактивное загрязнение.
4. Если фабрики будут сливать отходы в реки, вода в них будет отравлена.
5. Мы выживем, если будем защищать природу все вместе.
1. Когда поедешь на юг, постарайся не находиться под прямыми лучами солнца долго.
2. Когда мы будем участвовать в телешоу, мы будем обсуждать экологические проблемы.
3. Когда экология станет лучше, животные вернутся в места своего обитания.
4. Ты узнаешь о редких и исчезающих видах животных, когда прочтешь эту книгу.
5. Маленький Питер сможет увидеть различные виды млекопитающих, птиц, рептилий и насекомых, когда пойдет с мамой в зоопарк.
31. Write sentences about John to show that he always wants to be like Nick (ex. 12).
Example: Nick likes crocodiles. So does John.
32. Look at the words again and get ready to write a spelling quiz on them.
a resource, to test, a ton, ozone, a filter, ultraviolet, radiation, an environment, to pollute, pollution, to cause, destruction, a shortage, a population, to dump, waste, poison, nuclear, a weapon, to survive, safe
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
33. a) Make sure you know these words:
positive — положительный
an ambulance — машина скорой помощи
negative — отрицательный
a traffic jam — пробка, затор на дороге
b) Listen to the tape, 19, and say why the young member of the Women’s Club wanted to stop the car producer.
34. Put these sentences in the order they are given in the text to make an outline of the story. Then work in pairs and tell the story to each other. Give your own conclusion.
Main ecological problems in the gentleman’s talk.
Positive aspects of cars.
Usual Friday meetings at the Women’s Club.
Negative aspects of cars.
35. Pretend you are at the Women’s Club meeting. Play the role of the gentleman and answer the following.
Which in your opinion is the most serious ecological problem?
What continents and countries suffer mainly from shortages of food? Can this be helped?
Why are cars dangerous for the people in towns and cities?
Why do you think there are more and more cars with every coming year?
36. Listen to the text again and write down positive and negative effects that cars have.
36. Discuss these questions with your friends.
Do you think cars have improved life or not? Have they made people’s life at least easier?
Which do you think is the best way to travel — by car, by train, by plane, on a bicycle, on foot? Explain your choice.
If you have a lot of money, will you buy a car? Do you think it is important to have a car nowadays?
Is it more important to have a car if you live in the city or in the country? Why?
Do you agree that cars ruin the countryside, the wildlife?