Учебник для 6 класса
Let Us Read
8. Read the text and say: a) what ways people use to make new words; b) how many words the most complete dictionary of the English language has.
Words We Use
78. As you know one of the very good ways to get new words is to borrow them from other people. English is full of words borrowed from other languages. The possibilities for borrowing words are endless.
People can also make new words by using the names of people or places or the characters in stories. The word atlas1 has that name because long ago on a famous collection of maps, there was a picture of the Greek god Atlas holding up the world.
People can make words by cutting big ones down into small ones. When you say a mechanical person is a robot, you are using a cut-down form of robotnik, which means worker in several Slavic2 languages. Nowadays people often say doc instead of doctor; phone — instead of telephone; fridge — instead of refrigerator.
You cut down long word combinations or sentences and make them into short words by joining together the first letters of each word. UNESCO3 comes from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. MP stands for a member of Parliament, USA — for the United States of America.
One of the most complete dictionaries of the English language is Webster’s Third New International Dictionary. It has more than 450 000 words. No person knows all of them, but most grown-ups are able to understand about 35 000 words. In fact, people use only about one-tenth of the words they understand.
9. Say “true”, “false” or “don’t know”.
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
10. Express the same in English.
11. Yesterday Mrs Nelson and her two sons, Bob and Sam, were going to Sydney by bus. It was very noisy in the bus and the boys didn’t often hear what their mother was saying. All the way they asked each other one and the same question: “What did she say?” These are the things that Mrs Nelson said or asked. Report them.
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
12. a) Make sure that you know these words and word combinations:
the Alps — Альпы
b) Listen to the tape, 79, and say whose words they are:
13. Answer the questions.
14. Tell the story to your friends on Nick’s part.