what the name of the biggest lake on the continent is;
what Australian rivers you can name; which of them you think is the most important;
what mountain ranges there are on the territory of Australia;
what city is the national capital;
what cities are state capitals;
what other cities you can find on the map of Australia.
25. a) Look at the map of Australia and find on it the following cities: Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Hobart, Perth, Adelaide. b) Choose one of the cities and speak about it using the information below.
Х an important centre of learning;
Х the seat of the federal1 government;
Х built in 1923Ч1927;
Х 310 000 people;
Х a lot of government buildings;
Х the place where the National University of Australia is situated.
1 federal Ч федеральный
Х AustraliaТs largest city; 3,5 mln people;
Х founded on January 26, 1788;
Х the first European settlement in the country;
Х AustraliaТsleading seaport;
Х a city ofold and new buildings;
Х a lot of lovely parks and gardens.
Х AustraliaТs second largest city; over 3 mln people;
Х the financial centre ofthe nation;
Х from 1901 to 1927 Ч the seat of the federal government;
Х stone buildings remind visitors of citiesin England;
Х an industrial city;
Х factories produce many goods.
Х over 1 mln people;
Х famous for AdelaideТs Festival of Arts held every two years;
Х a large centre exporting wine.
Х the major west coast city, over 1 mln people;
Х the most beautiful Australian city which reminds many Americans of cities in Southern California;
Х a sea port.
Х founded in 1804;
Х AustraliaТs oldest city;
Х surrounded by a small agricultural area;
Х fruit, dairy products, wool Ч are exported through the city.
Х over 1 mln people;
Х the only large Australian city with subtropical climate;
Х very beautiful, with a lot of parks and gardens;
Х an important export centre exporting wool, meat, wheat, sugar.
Х one of the most important cities;
Х a cattle centre;
Х is connected with Adelaide by the railroad line;
Х the only town in the south of the Northern Territory
26. Choose the place in Australia you would like to visit and explain why.
27. Imagine that you are having a geography lesson tomorrow. Get ready to speak about Australia. DonТt forget to mention:
Х the geographical position of the country;
Х its main states and territories;
Х the main Australian cities;
Х the most and least populated areas;
Х mountains and rivers in Australia;
Х things the country produces.
28. Imagine that you have to tell an Australian about Russia. Use the outline of ex. 27 and speak about your country.
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
29. Do ex. 2, ex. 3, ex. 5, ex. 7, ex. 10 in writing.
30. Fill in least or most to make the sentences complete.
The eastern coast is the ... populated part of Australia, the centre of the continent is its ... populated part.
I donТt think it is the ... important problem of all discussed today. I believe it is one of the ... important.
The Northern Territory is the ... developed part of Australia if we speak of its industry.
The Bill of Rights is one of the ... often mentioned political documents when people discuss the history of the US Constitution.
Problems of ecology, water and air pollution are the ... often discussed problems at all meetings of different ecological clubs and societies.
31. Write eight sentences with these word combinations.
An uncomfortable chair, an incomplete story, an unknown land, an independent country, an informal party, an unbuilt cottage, an unpopulated territory, an inhospitable place.
32. Complete the sentences using future simple or future progressive.
Ч What you (to do) tomorrow afternoon at about 6 oТclock? Ч Nothing special. Ч Why? Ч I (to tell) you later.
I know that at the party everybody (to dance, to laugh and to enjoy themselves).
Ч What a huge pile of books! Ч I (to help) you to take them to the library.
Australia (to be) the first country they are going to visit.
33. Look at the words again and get ready to write a spelling quiz on them.
an automobile, tropical, a territory, leading, citrus, icy, generally, naturally, nearly, a hemisphere, wheat, a peach, an apricot, a pear, a berry (berries), swampy, sandy, vast, humid, lonely, except, only, to occupy, to inhabit, inhabited, uninhabited, least of all
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
34. a) Make sure that you know these words and word combinations:
a funfair Ч парк аттракционов
eager Ч желающий, стрем€щийс€ к чему-либо
a ride Ч аттракцион
a roller coaster Ч аттракцион Ђјмериканские горкиї
b) Listen to the tape, 73, and complete the sentences.
Mrs Harris decided to take her children to ... .
First Mr Harris ... to go, but at last he had to agree.
The family went to the park in ... .
The territory of the park was ... .
Mr Harris enjoyed the funfair more ... .
He ate a lot of ... .
Mrs Harris and the children looked ....
Mrs Harris was tired after ... .
УHeТs worse than a small child, because... .Ф
35. Pretend that you are talking to Mr Harris and ask him at least 5 questions about the funfair.
36. Speak about the visit to the funfair on the part of:
1) Mr Harris; 2) Mrs Harris; 3) one of the children.