1. Answer the questions and discuss the problems of weather, climate and ecology.
Do you think the hole in the ozone layer will get bigger? Why?
The world climate is changing, isnТt it? What changes can you name?
Do you think the earth will become warmer? Why?
What do you remember about the greenhouse effect?
What serious ecological problems are discussed nowadays?
What environmental problems are discussed nowadays?
Do you think ecological problems should be discussed in class? Why? In what lessons? Do you discuss them? Can you remember one such lesson?
What do you feel about the problem of the extinct and rare plants and animals? Should they be put into the Red Book? Why?
What can people do to save our planet from an ecological disaster? How can you personally take part in this work?
2. Work in pairs and complete the dialogue, then act it out.
IN A PET SHOP
Shop assistant: Good afternoon. ____________?
Customer:1 Yes, you can. IТm looking for a pet for my little daughter. ____________?
Shop assistant: What kind of pet would she like? Something usual or ____________?
Customer: IТm not quite sure. I know she wants to have a snake or a crocodile, but she isnТt going to have one.
Shop assistant: How about a ____________ or a ____________?
Customer: Hmm. They are not as friendly as dogs, ____________?
Shop assistant: No. But theyТre very clean and they eat less. Then maybe youТd prefer a bird, a ____________ or a ____________ for example?
Customer: Which would you recommend?
Shop assistant: Well, you canТt teach a ____________ to speak.
Customer: But ____________ speak too much and too loudly. I would like something quiet.
Shop assistant: A quiet pet? How about a goldfish or a ____________? They are the quietest pets I know.
1 a customer Ч покупатель
3. Tell your classmates what the customer and the shop assistant in a pet shop talked about.
4. Comment on this: УMan the destroyer, man the creator.Ф
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
5. Listen to the tape, Ў 25, look at the map and read what weather forecast radio gives for the USA today.
WEATHER FORECASTS ON THE RADIO
In New York Ч home of the Statue of Liberty and the skyscrapers Ч itТll be sunny and mild, a little bit cloudy, but nice and warm. What a beautiful day to walk about the city!
Down in the southeast today the weather will be wonderful. In Miami, Florida, a popular vacation place, itТs going to be sunny and very hot. ItТs ninety degrees Fahrenheit. A perfect day for the beach.
Not so in Springfield, Illinois, itТs cool and windy, we expect rain this afternoon. So get out your umbrella.
ItТs thirty-two degrees Fahrenheit. ThatТs zero degrees Celsius outside Denver, Colorado. ThereТs two feet of snow already and itТs going to snow some more. ItТs a perfect place for skiing.
And on the west coast in Los Angeles, California Ч home of Hollywood movie stars and the best cars Ч itТs sunny and warm. It will be a beautiful day for a drive up the coast.
And thatТs the weather in the USA today.
6. Look at the map of Russia and make up a radio forecast for certain places in the country. Ex. 5 can help you.
Vladivostok Ч Get out your umbrella.
Yakutsk Ч ItТs a perfect day for skiing.
Novosibirsk Ч Get out your warm coat.
Ekaterinburg Ч What a beautiful day for a ride in the country!
Murmansk Ч It will be a perfect day for fishing.
St. Petersburg Ч ItТs a perfect day to walk in the city.
Moscow Ч DonТt make any plans.
Volgograd Ч Get out your light clothes and sunglasses.
Sochi Ч A perfect day for the beach.
7. Answer the questions on the topic УAnimal WorldФ. Check your answers withbthe tape, 26.
DO YOU KNOW?
What is the name of the animal that gives birth to lambs?
Young dogs are called puppies, young cats are called kittens, what are young goats called?
What pets are kept in cages?
Do you know why whales and dolphins are not fish?
ThereТs one bird which is so lazy that it doesnТt build its own nest and doesnТt hatch1 its own eggs. This bird lays its eggs in other birdsТ nests and gets them to do the hard work for it. Do you know which bird this is?
Which is the fastest running bird in the world (it canТt fly)?
Which animals that you can think of belong to the cat family?
There are two types of elephants found on earth. One is the African elephant. WhatТs the other one called?
A fawn2 is a young animal that lives in woods or forests. What will it be when it grows up?
These creatures catch their food in special nets that they make themselves. What are they called? How many legs do they have?
What is a rabbitТs home called?
This reptile carries its home round on its back. What is it?
1 to hatch Ч высиживать птенцов
2 a fawn Ч оленЄнок
* * * * * Let Us Read * * * * *
8. Read the text УEcology of ManФ and say why people need no less protection than animals do.
Ecology of Man
27. It may sound funny to you, but man needs protection and care as much as animals do. PeopleТs habitats Ч their homes, towns and cities Ч must be kept ecologically clean. In the places where people drink dirty water, eat bad food and breathe polluted air they suffer from serious diseases and die early; their children are born weak. No medicines prescribed by the doctors can save them. This problem becomes more and more serious with every passing day. The modern way of life, when people do little physical activity, use cars instead of walking, watch television for many hours and work on computers is turning them into Уlegless creatures.Ф
9. Think of at least five things Modern Man must do to survive. Compare your lists.
10. Ask questions on the text for your classmates to answer.
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
11. Write the same in English.
ѕредсказывать погоду; климатические изменени€; разрешить проблему; недостаток питьевой воды; €дерна€ энерги€; быть причиной разрушений; загр€знение воздуха; выжить; место обитани€; ниже нул€; парниковый эффект; озоновые дыры; оказывать вли€ние на окружающую среду; исчезнувшие виды животных; вылечивать болезни; уничтожать леса; сбрасывать отходы в реки.